Just as a reminder, there is a Budget Meeting for the Township of North Dumfries at 12:00-5:00 on Sunday March 22, 2015 to discuss the budget.
It will be in Council Chambers at the Administration Office located at 1171 Greenfield Road. It is mentioned in a google search that it is in the record but the ONLINE record link did not work. So I went to grab the physical record and sure enough it was posted there. I have attached the images and encourage everyone in North Dumfries to go to the meeting and find out more information and express your opinion tomorrow.
UPDATE 3:38PM: Here is the Record Correct Link to the online copy
UPDATE: 5:43PM Public Hearing on Budget set for Monday March 23rd, 2015 at 7:00PM
The meeting is at 7:00PM tomorrow at the Township office for the public to voice their concerns on the following major items (as I saw it, please correct me if I put forth anything incorrect):
1. 9% Tax increase (was going to be 23% this year) 2015 and 9% 2016 - based upon the municipal part which on a 2K tax bill amounts to around 50.00 per year I think on a 2K Bill current tax bill (as your tax bill is made up of other components such as education etc). The rest of the deficit is going to be taken out of funded savings for other future concerns.
2. Answer to the 750K deficit in the budget and how they are taking it out of the Gravel Reserve Fund. Seems that money in reserve funds which are basically savings accounts for future expenses are being depleted for current day concerns. How will they address those future issues when there the savings have now been depleted?
3. They are officially moving the office to the NDCC site and selling the township office,
4. They are buying 80k worth of software for their accounting so they can be more accountable...
5. They lost around 300K in unbillable services from erroneously neglecting to bill the applicants who generated these costs through the building department and they have a plan to collect some but are writing off 85K.
6. They have a plan to control costs on over runs on Directors who have high overtime pay
7. They are keeping the old rink and possibly repairing the north boards but the long term plan is challenging due to the growing upkeep costs. This is not an exhaustive list of what was discussed. Come out on Monday to find out more.
8. I have mentioned it to some of the parties that better communication with the public will promote better relationships.
UPDATE: 9:00PM PLEASE CHECK OUT THE VIDEOS OF MY INTERVIEW WITH THE COUNCIL AND THE MAYOR OF NORTH DUMFRIES:
https://youtu.be/46AdzoDP_E0 andhttps://youtu.be/DVsnRTx9i3g for my two parts of the interactions with Township of North Dumfries on their new budget and their challenges with cost control and revenue leakage. Thank you to Ashley Fransen for your video. I can now see how my five minutes got used up by talking about things I never asked about but at least now I know about french drains that were explored that were probably not on the budget. Listen in detail to 3:32. 'From what I know the reports were done. There was an ability to provide them to council in December, January, February.. Are they done?' Says Mayor Foxton, Treasure responds with trepidation, ' would you like me to answer that', pause ' There was no formal 3rd quarter report done'. I am hopeful that the accountability and even basic communication improves from here.
UPDATE 11:00PM - PLEASE FIND ATTACHED THE PROPOSED BUDGET FOR DISCUSSION THAT FOR SOME REASON WAS NOT SHARED WITH THE RESIDENCE WHO WHERE PRESENT AT THE MEETING TO DISCUSS THE VERY SAME DOCUMENT. INSTEAD THE DOCUMENT WAS READ QUICKLY AND THE RESIDENCE WERE EXPECTED TO SOMEHOW FOLLOW ALONG. THE DOCUMENT IS IN THREE PARTS. PLEASE CLICK ON THE PARTS TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF. ----> PART 1 PART 2 PART 3